Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The details of my life are inconsequential, really....

I suppose I ought to fill people in on how Andrew & I arrived at this point in our journey. Here's the condensed version:
1992 - I spent the summer working & sightseeing in the UK, based in London. Andrew & I met through one of my housemates, then a week later he returned to Australia & I returned to Canada.
1993 - Andrew spent the year in Canada. We got engaged at the end of the year.
1994 - I moved to Sydney, Australia in May of 1994, and we were married in October.
1997 or so - We decided to start a family, but we went no-where fast. I'm diagnosed with PCOS. We try Clomid but it doesn't work. We decide not to try anything else at that point. I met my BFF Vicki around this time.
2002 - We moved from Sydney to Toronto, to see if we could make a go of it in Canada, and to be closer to my family. INSIDER'S TIP: If you move to another country with the intent of moving back to Canada (or whatever your country of origin is), try to move back within 7 years. Otherwise your credit history will be wiped & you'll have to start from scratch, which was an ENORMOUS pain in the arse.
2007 - We attended an information session with one of the local international adoption agencies, and decide that that is the way we will start our family. We initially intend to adopt from China, because they had few restrictions at that point. We switch to Ethiopia when China referral waits grow & they impose several restrictions, especially one regarding weight. In case I neglected to mention it before - there's rather a lot of me to love (in case you don't me - if you do know me, you know this already).
March 2008 - We spend the month in Australia, our first trip back since we moved back to Canada. Wowee, do I miss our friends there - they get me.
April 2008 - June 2008 - We completed our homestudy visits with our social worker and our PRIDE training. Then we wait (& wait & wait) for our CAS clearances to arrive.
Late November 2008 - The last of 5 CAS clearances arrives. Our homestudy is complete & submitted to the gov't for approval.
Late February 2009 - We finally receive approval from the gov't to adopt! Best. Day. Ever!
March 3, 2009 - Our dossier arrives in Ethiopia. We are finally waiting for a referral!

And that's where we are - preparing our lives for our daughter, and enjoying the last few months of "freedom". I found the waiting during the homestudy SOOO stressful, because there was always the thought in the back of my mind that we wouldn't be approved (because of my weight). Now that we're waiting for a referral, I feel like I can relax. We'll receive our referral when our daughter is ready to join us.

1 comment:

CinnamonOpus said...

I am so excited for you guys to get to that magic day when the phone rings and your life changes forever. It's a tough wait, but the fun part of that is the preparation... buying a little something here, window shopping for a little something there... until before you know it, your life begins to take shape with your precious child at the centre.

Every day is one day closer to that day!